Adventures in Foam
This whole blog title/song thing is proving to be harder than I thought, LOL. Today is a shout-out to one of my favorite artists, Amon Tobin.
One of my 2016 intentions was to plan more adventures. I decided now is a good time to list out all those adventure to keep myself accountable!
Having been overweight my entire adult life there are a ton of things I've missed out on doing over the years. Friends would plan exciting trips skiing or hiking and rather than push myself to be fit enough to join them I'd smile and shirk into the background, liking their photos in my feed and vowing someday to join them. Well, 2016 is finally that someday!
Here's the list of adventures I've compiled. I'd love your feedback! All of these things require a stronger body and will push me out of my comfort zone, which is so key.
- Snowboarding. I have always loved watching snowboarding, it just looks so fun and so freeing. I enlisted my friend Jim to promise to take me back when I came up with this bucket list in December. Luckily he understands that when I want something you just need to get on-board with whatever it is, haha. I started doing workouts recommending for building muscles to snowboard (here and here). I researched beginner tips and tricks and I chatted up my expert friends. But then I started thinking "OMG what if I can't do this? What if I end up the fat chick that tumbles down the mountain and literally dies?". So I tried to mask that fear with the excuse that it's really expensive and maybe we should find something else to try someday in the future. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) for me he wasn't giving in that easy. So, we're doing this.... that is if we find some place with snow. Boston is currently having unseasonably warm temperatures (not complaining, just sayin!).
- Stand-up paddleboarding - Again this looks SO much fun and so relaxing. Being on the water coasting along on a paddle board? Lovely. Once I master this I really want to try SUP Yoga! As previously mentioned I love yoga so much and I saw a friend from California doing this and it looked incredible. See?
- High heels dance class - my friend Lauren had signed up for this one with me. I have no idea where we'll go but I would love to try a workout that might also help me walk in heels (something I've just never been good at). I'm sure we'll have some HILARIOUS stories after this adventure!
- Salsa! My favorite part of Zumba/Strike a Poise is when Courtney/Brittany/Danielle/Diana shouts out SALSA! and we do these crazy little side steps. I'm terrible at salsa but I'm willing to make a fool of myself if I find a cute guy willing to try a class with me. In this future adventure I imagine a ton of giggling, falling over each other then having delicious Cuban/Latino food and tequila. Perfection right?
- Hike to a waterfall - I'm not a hiker by any means but the more cardio classes I do the more I think I'd love to try hiking this spring/summer. I figure if I'm going to go through the effort of packing snacks and getting my sweat on I should get to look at something lovely like a waterfall once I reach the top right? My BFF Jewels is on the hook for this one.
- Aerial yoga - There is an underlying yoga theme going on with this bucket list, eh? I have a friend who taught aerial yoga for years and I loved watching her teach and perform but I was always too heavy to even dare trying it. This year I vow to be a smaller, healthy size that will allow me to do crazy yoga tricks on silks. How much FUN does this look like????
- Indoor rock climbing- I love the idea of actually climbing a mountain without the chance that I might die. This is a perfect compromise, haha. I'm certain upper body strength would be essential for this in addition to a smaller booty so this is great goal to work towards.
- Snorkeling - especially if said adventure allows me to see starfish up close and personal. When I was little the best part of the aquarium was the starfish tank! Snorkeling looks fun and WAY less scary than scuba diving.
Those are the fitness-driven adventures I hope to have in 2016. I'm excited to see how my year progresses!