Although the song came out in 2002 (14 years ago!? OMG) it's always been one of my favorites to listen to. “Thank You” by Dido is a beautiful ballad that always reminds me to say thank you in between the crazy moments that are life.
There are cornerstones I try to live by, one of them being to always thank the people in my life for enhancing it. Years ago I made a list of the commandments of Sam and I went digging through the archives to find it and was reminded that saying please and thank you definitely made the list. :)
My friend Tyler gave me the idiom “you always grow to your fish bowl”. I didn't realize how true it was until recently when so many of the things I once prayed for were my reality and I found myself taking them for granted. It's easy to get sucked into the busyness of life. It's easy to forget how lucky you are to have the life you have. Alas a gratitude list was very much in order!
Since it’s 2016 I’ll share 16 things I'm so grateful for this Thanksgiving (in no particular order).
- My mom - she is my best friend, my rock and my favorite person ever despite sometimes being the child in our relationship. ;)
- Transformations - my life is completely different than it was a year ago, 2 years ago, 5 yrs ago and I am so thankful for that progression and the life lessons along the way
- My brother - one of my best friends, my oldest confidante and the person who "real talks" me better than ANYONE
- Reflection - I’ve been spending a lot of time alone given my new working situation and it’s nice to reflect on the quietness I have within me (sometimes) in between the chaos
- My dad - while we don’t always see eye to eye he always appreciates my cooking (and tries my crazy recipes) and is the best at finding the logic in the crazy world we live in
- Writing - this blog, the SP blog and my future book are all such great outlets for me
- Jewels - my BFF 4 lyf, my “ride or die” and the one person who always picks up the phone when I need to laugh or cry. I would be lost without her!
- Studio Poise - my happy place with the most amazing workouts and people. <3
- My second home - Layne & Jay’s. I love having someplace I can let myself in, grab a drink from the fridge, plop on the couch unannounced and be 100% Sam. Thank you both for your friendship and for making me always feel at home.
- Girlfriends - I am so lucky to have this amazing group of girlfriends from all walks of life who support me and love me, flaws and all
- My work husband - despite no longer technically working together he still supports me in all my goals (financial, weight-loss etc.) and is the best at putting me back together during my meltdowns
- Sunsets and sunrises - no matter how good or bad a day is it will have a beginning and an end, that thought is very comforting to me
- A kickass boss - he’s a great guy and trusts me enough to do what needs to get done with minimal supervision oh and he cracks me up on a daily basis so that’s a plus too! ;)
- Cooking - not only is it a creative outlet a stress reliever but I love feeding people!
- Unanswered prayers - sometimes not getting what you want can be a thing of beauty
- The future and all it’s endless possibilities!
Thank you for reading this and for sharing my life and this journey with me!