And just like that, the last month of the year has arrived! Holy mackerel! There are a ton of good songs about December but I decided to go with the Collective Soul version. I saw them live over the summer when they opened for Goo Goo Dolls and for 90's rockers and they still put on a kickass show!
So we've arrived at the last month of the year. Crazy isn't it? 2016 was an emotional roller coaster on so many fronts and the 11th month was no different. I would love to tell you I rocked my November challenges, but I didn't. I can't really put my finger on it but I needed more rest than I normally do. The good news is I listened to my body and have not gotten sick (November is notoriously a month of pneumonia for me!). The bad news is it means I did not hit one of my goals.
In November I vowed to:
- Give thanks - November is of course Thanksgiving and one of my favorite times of year. I'm psyched to be making Thanksgiving dinner for my family and to co-host a Friendsgiving with one of my BFFs. In addition to cooking I want to make it a point to show the people in my life how thankful I am for their support - I am a better person because of the people who constantly support me. This month I want to find a way to show my appreciation to Team Sam*.
- Conquer my 5k with Katie! It would be AMAZING if I could finish around 45 mins, but my left knee has not been cooperating lately so just finishing under that 60 min mark is the goal. After this I'm moving indoors and we'll tackle another 5k for better time in the spring.
- Complete 11 workouts a week - This may sound crazy but a few months ago I was taking 12-14 classes a week AND walking. With my new schedule and finding the balance in my life my workouts have suffered. For November I will get 11 workouts a week in for a total of 44 or bust!
Soooo yeah I did show thanks, woo! Friendsgiving was amazing and so much fun. We also threw Jay a surprise birthday that was a ton of fun. I gave out "thanks for being in my life" cards and I baked a ton of treats for friends. I'll give myself a check for that goal!
I did not run or walk my 5k. My left knee has not been pleased with my walking and I've been doing a ton of stretches and taking it easy for now. We'll tackle a spring 5k for sure!
I also did not complete 44 workouts....but I got DAMN close. I did 36 studio workouts and 4 at home workouts on days I couldn't make it to the studio so 40 total.
I am pleased to say I pushed myself out of my comfort zone in November. I tried a new kickboxing class called Poise*n Kick at the studio, fell in love and quickly became a regular. Love me some Diana Davis! I also gave more to the workouts I was doing instead of just being there, I owned it!
December is a month of Christmas lights, writing out cards, drinking hot chocolate, wrapping (I LOVE to wrap!), Christmas movies and all things joyous. I can't wait! But in the spirit of being a #goaldigger I must set a few goals and then do my best to crack them (like a nutcracker...ha ha).
- Complete a month of a Jillian Michaels DVD at home (torn between 30 day Shred and 6-week 6 pack, TBD)
- Give everything to my SP workouts and incorporate new things like Poise Fire into the repertoire!
- Appreciate every fabulous holiday thing (baking, ugly sweaters, you name it - I'm doing it!) with friends and family
- Spend a day pausing to reflect on the success, challenges and lessons from 2016. It's important to reflect and give thanks for that which makes you stronger each year.
- Set 3 intentions for 2017 that are achievable but also push me to be better than I am at the moment.
I am so excited to rock the last month of the year and also hopeful for a new year. There's something so awesome about a fresh page in a new book!
What are you doing to celebrate the season? How are you preparing to start fresh in January?