I sorta can't believe it's 2017....and January 5th nonetheless! I swear some days it feels like it's still 2004. There aren't many songs about January, which is funny given it's the first month of the year. People are filled with hope and excitement and filling up gyms and Whole Foods as they tackle their resolutions. January Hymn was the best I could do and while a little more somber than I prefer it's not bad!
My December was busy and wonderful and left me exhausted in a good way. I wrapped a million gifts, donated to important charities, sang Christmas carols and watched ALL my favorite Christmas specials. Layne and I made a Starbucks gingerbread house - which came out super cute and was funny to build with the minimal instructions provided (also Starbucks gumdrops were gross, don't taste them).
How did I do against my goals?
- Complete a month of a Jillian Michaels DVD at home - - Um no. I did this maybe 3 times and discovered DVDs just don't do it for me. Without a live instructor and a room full of people I'm too easily distracted. Squirrel!
- Give everything to my SP workouts and incorporate new things like Poise Fire into the repertoire! - Half check! I owned a bunch of doubles and triples but I did not make it to Poise Fire yet because of schedules. Soon!
- Appreciate every fabulous holiday thing (baking, ugly sweaters, you name it - I'm doing it!) with friends and family. 100% check! Photos incorporate throughout the post. The only thing I didn't do was Christmas cards, which I normally love. I just found myself without the time to sit and dedicate to writing cards out because I was so busy!
- Spend a day pausing to reflect on the success, challenges and lessons from 2016. Multiple times. I blogged here and did a lot of self-reflection on what worked and what did not work this year.
- Set 3 intentions for 2017 that are achievable - done! OK so I actually set 5, haha. I also met with my work husband who is my accountability partner and my closest friends to share these goals - the more people to keep me on track, the better.
Overall I'd say I owned December. Now, what I am tackling in January?
- Conquer a winter activity - this was going to be snowshoeing but honestly we've had minimal snow around here and I am told the more snow the better. If I can't snowshoe maybe I'll try ice skating (although my ankles are weak so that worries me!). Either way I'll find some wintery thing and make it my bitch.
- Get more adventurous with my cooking. I love to cook and I have a Pinterest board full of recipes to try and a few cookbooks I've never even opened. Time to spice it up!
- Complete 35 workouts before turning 35. My birthday is January 30th and I will be 35 - I think 35 workouts is a great goal for the month!
- Adequately celebrate this birthday. I feel like I minimized my last birthday because I wasn't where I wanted to be in life. Now I'm in a much happier place and want to ring the next year of my life in with family, friends, breakfast dates, martinis and of course cake. :)
- Continue focusing on the positive and finding what IS working every day. Not every day is a good day but there is good in every day.
- Bonus: Book a vacation! California, here I come!